Friday, 20 April 2012

Something To Ponder Part II



Vacation time, especially when you have kids at home, is something, entirely different. My nephew has grown up and is always occupied with lot of activities these days- Drawings, arts and craft, school projects and other innumerable activities difficult to explain through words.

On one fine day of my vacation at home, I happened to confront few questions from my nephew, which has almost moved me and left me absconding.

He had a project on Indian history, and he chose it to be the Indian independence. The moment one goes on to study the Indian history, one cannot deprive oneself from developing a feeling of hatred for the British. I can recall my history syllabus, from Jallianwala Bagh to Revolt of 1857, from salt satyagrah to brutal execution of our revolutionary leaders like bhagat singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev , it’s all filled with hatred for the British. No surprise, it continues to be the same, what I read in my childhood that my nephew and other youngsters are learning.

As a child we are always very stringent about rules and regulations, so is my nephew. On that fine day I was watching television with him; as I was browsing through the channels I stopped by a channel telecasting the national anthem. To my surprise; my nephew made me stand in attention in the lonely room along with him in the honor of the national anthem. I was impressed that my nephew has learned the rituals well. I never knew that after 52 seconds of the national anthem, I would be facing, some of the nightmarish questions from an innocent kid, making my life difficult for the rest of my stay at home.

“Uncle I would like to include the national anthem’s history to my project work. Could you help me in the preparation of the content?” I proudly accepted the request; after all it was the national anthem, something which I remember even after 25 years of my life-not an usual thing for a person who do not even remember twinkle twinkle little star, completely.

“Uncle, tell me who has written it and how long it took for the poet to complete it? It would have been a difficult task, isn’t it uncle?”  Off course, I replied, “Its Rabindra Nath Tagore who has composed it, he was a Nobel Prize winner and an awesome writer; you are going to read a lot of his writings in your higher classes.” Oh that’s great, he replied, “How was he motivated to write this anthem, uncle; I want to know the meaning of what it actually mean.”

As a child I never thought of learning anything apart from the syllabus, but today’s kid is different from what we used to be. In this age of internet and other innovative style of teaching and learning, kids grow up more maturely than ever before. Trying to save my ass from the little kid, I thought better to google, before answering any of his queries.  Who knows if I happen to say something wrong, and he finds out someday, it would be a shame for a lifetime.

That night I spent hours on my system looking for the history of the national anthem. The fact I found out was something very difficult to digest, which I had been unaware of, since last 25 years of my life. Explaining things in that fashion to my nephew was a distant thing, I was myself confused. I feared he would come with many other questions which could make me sound completely unconvincing.

As per the Wikepedia, the largest reference website, “The poem was composed in December 1911, welcoming and honoring King George V at the time of the Coronation Durbar of George V, and "Bharat Bhagya vidhata" and "Adhinayaka" is in fact in praise of King George V and not God. The composition was first sung during a convention of the then loyalist Indian National Congress in Calcutta on Dec. 26, 1911. It was sung on the second day of the convention, and the agenda of that day devoted itself to a loyal welcome of George V on his visit to India. The event was reported thus in the British Indian press:
"The Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore sang a song composed by him specially to welcome the Emperor." (Statesman, Dec. 28, 1911)”

Of course there were few controversial things as well, but going through these facts and the thought of it to be a controversial made me more and more anxious.

How could I justify the poem, which was composed in the honor of a  Firangi, to be our national anthem, to a kid, who has grown up learning to hate the British and the British rule in India?

As I was wondering how I could frame this for my nephew, I heard a sound of knocking at the door. It was none other than my nephew, curious to know and learn new things. “You still awake?” I asked in a loud voice. “In fact you said that you will help me out for my project un..c..lle.. “ . “Don’t be stupid” I replied in agony, “better concentrate on your studies than doing these rubbish projects. Your grades are degrading constantly”.

Surprised by my behavior, it took a few seconds for him to react and apologize for something he shouldn’t be, and left the room immediately.

Indeed I saved my ass…but I still wonder if I actually did?

No comments:

Post a Comment